Monday, October 16, 2006
A Moving Testimony
I chanced upon a moving testimony when I was looking for something to binge on this morning. There was this piece of paper pasted on the front of my fridge. And instead of satisfying my hunger first, I just stood there for 5 mins reading that piece of paper which so happens to be a testimony of this woman called Cynthia Lim. I do not know her personally, I just know that she is from my church. And this is what she has to say about her experience with God: (the words in orange are the exact words in Cynthia's testimony)
Born into a Buddhist family, I was accustomed to certain principles and beliefs that have affected the way I think and live life. At an early age, I developed a habit of memorizing dharma scriptures and leading an independent life as an individual with strong beliefs in karma and its consequences. My life before accepting Christ has been surprisingly smooth sailing and there have been no major events that may have altered my life or created the need to doubt my beliefs as a stauched Buddhist.
I am now a new believer in Christ. This year, a long lost friend of mine signed me up for the Alpha Course here in BBTC in March. It was fun and I enjoyed myself immersely. There were interesting video talks by Nicky Grumble and I learnt alot from the insightful discussion sessions. In the small group, I met people from all walks of life and we shared our feelings, questions and ideas on the topics discussed for the day.
(The writer eventually accepted Christ during an Alpha weekend retreat and acknowledged Jesus Christ as her personal Savior)
What amazed me was what happened AFTER she accepted Christ;
Continuing with the testimony:
As a new Christian and faced with the usual issues of conversion and new found faith, I had to endure the most difficult period of my life thus far. I discovered a huge growth (almost 15 cm by 6cm big) in my lower pelvic area and I was frightened by the possibility of it being malignant. The doctor diagnosed that the cyst was too huge to go for a biopsy and advised immediate surgery for its removal. I was devastated and matters just got worse when I found I have a hereditary blood disorder hence the risk of complication is substantially higher during and post surgery.
I am normally an optimistic person but after being told that the probability of the cyst being malignant was 50%, it was difficult maintaining a positive outlook. God's presence was reassuring, the support and prayers of my cell group friends help to affirm my trust in God. On occasions when I am down and worried, I was able to speak to Him and there was a certain peace. One of the days, I felt a change in me, miraculously my fear subsided and I no longer feel afraid. I was calmy making arrangement of the operation date with a renowned surgeon; working out payment methods; I have even gone to seek another 2 professional opinions, which confirmed the first diagnosis. I sensed hope in the situation. At that moment, it felt as if there was a pair of mighty hands, guiding me along the way. God instilled in me the strenght, courage and the confidence to go through this difficult time.
"God's love so sure, shall still endure.
All measureless and strong.
Redeeming grace to Adam's race.
The love of our LORD is rich and pure.
We claim this and will trust Him in our healing process."
This is a verse I read during the period leading to surgery and the subsequent recovery, I realize it is God's Grace that sustained me. I was thankful to Him for the speedy recovery, and one without complication.
This scary encounter almost turned my life upside down; it has also challenged my faith in God and encouraged me to discover what is truly important in my life. I have grown closer to God, and I know that God is real because I have experienced His goodness. He has given me new strength and I can claim His promise to be forever my companion and see me through every season of my life.
------------------------------------------------
Wow, Im so moved and touched by her testimony, that I just stood there in front of the fridge and teared. God is real if you experience Him for yourself. That thought just flashed through my mind at that instant. Actually God is not far away in my life, He's just waiting for me to ask Him of His goodness, grace and love. And I can see the blessings He has given me. Thus far, my school work and project work has worked out. I should be stressed and pulling my hair out in sheer frustration with my school work. Ok even though I have only 4 mods this term, but it is still not easy. Yet, I have this confidence that all things will work out. God will see me through=)
No worries. Period.
And I'm certain that there'll be even tougher years ahead when I enter the working world, another season in my life. Life would be much much more complicated. Trials and tribulations are part and parcel of life. And it is God's plan for us to go through tough periods as well to mould our characters and to make us better persons after the whole ordeal. All things work out for their own good. But amidst the complexity, I know I can always depend on God; the Rock and simplicity in my life. And I say to you, its really an overflow of joy and peace, to be sure of God's promise.
I remember one of my pastors mentioning that, "God is not an ATM machine."; you dont only go to him when you want blessings and more blessings. When life is good, you feel wow, God is good indeed. But when life becomes difficult, you ask, "Where is God?'' Actually, God is always there, its the question of, "Where are you with your relationship with God''. How apt. Even for me, I feel I like to pray a long list of what I want from God. Haha its like a long wish list to God. Sheesh, I'm treating God like an ATM machine. So when the pastor said that sentence, I was half grinning cos I can sooo relate to that. And my mum and aunt looked at me with this knowing look which made me more convicted to pray not for myself, but also for others as well.
To wrap up this long post, I just want to say that I can feel God's grace tranforming my life. I have the victory to conquer all things difficult. And its my prayer that I can always claim this victory in whatever seasons of my life to come.
Posted by Jo at 11:22 am