Wednesday, October 25, 2006



Butterfly Kisses

A lovely bittersweet song by Bob Carlisle, illustrating the bittersweet sadness of fathers giving away their daughters at the wedding aisle.

Marie introduced this song to me one evening while waiting for the bus. And I was touched by the lyrics and how amazing the father-daughter relationship could be. And by the way, Marie, I've incidentally found the song while listening to christian hits cd. Haha, was kinda amazed by the coincidence.

Anyway, do read the lyrics.

There's two things I know for sure:
She was sent here from heaven and she's daddy's little girl.
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night
She talks to Jesus and I close my eyes and
I thank God for all the joy in my life
Oh, but most of all
For butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer;
sticking little white flowers all up in her hair;
"Walk beside the pony, Daddy, it's my first ride."
"I know the cake looks funny, Daddy, but I sure tried."
In all that I've done wrong I know I must have done something right
to deserve a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night.


Sweet 16 today
She's looking like her mama a little more everyday
One part woman, the other part girl.
To perfume and make-up from ribbons and curls
Trying her wings out in a great big world.

But I remember
Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer;
sticking little white flowers all up in her hair.
"You know how much I love you, Daddy,
But if you don't mind I'm only gonna kiss you on the cheek this time."
With all that I've done wrong I must have done something right to deserve her love every morning and butterfly kisses at night.

All the precious time
Like the wind, the years go by.
Precious butterfly.
Spread your wings and fly.

She'll change her name today.
She'll make a promise and I'll give her away.
Standing in the bride-room just staring at her.
She asked me what I'm thinking and I said
"I'm not sure-I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl."
She leaned over...gave me butterfly kisses with her mama there,
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair
"Walk my down the aisle, Daddy-it's just about time."
"Does my wedding gown look pretty, Daddy? Daddy, don't cry!"

Oh, with all that I've done wrong I must have done something right.
To deserve your love every morning and butterflykisses-
I couldn't ask God for more, man this is what love is.

I know I gotta let her go, but I'll always remember
every hug in the morning and butterfly kisses.


-----------------------------------------------------------------
Oh well, I know for sure, my daddy will definitely attest to the above lyrics. Im such a daddy's girl, I have to admit. This song seriously nailed the relationship between fathers and their precious little girls. I have no idea why, but since time immemorial, girls (no matter how old they are) will always be little precious gems in their fathers' eyes. Butterfly Kisses is not so much about fatherhood, rather it signifies the appreciation of time spent well between a father and his little girl. And as with any good thing, there is a bittersweet sadness in letting go. Letting go of your little girl when she finds her true happiness. There is indeed a undescribable beauty of the relationship between fathers and daughters.


I remember my dad mentioning to me before, "I miss the good ol'days when I would hold your little hands in my hands". Those days are long gone; days when I would unabashedly hold my dad's hand.

Things are different now, we have all grown up.

When was the last time I held my dad's hand?

I can't even remember.

Posted by Jo at 12:48 am