Friday, September 15, 2006



The Passing of my Dear Granduncle.

I woke up to a tear stained pillow this morning; the morning of my granduncle's cremation. He finally succumbed to colon cancer and passed away peacefully last wednesday night. As I said a short prayer to God to take away the tears and sadness, I remembered the fond memories of how my granduncle had doted on my younger sister and I.

I'll always remember him as the cheerful old uncle who never fails to stuff folded crinkled 10 dollars notes into my tiny palms when I was really young. The granduncle who loves to bring us out for lunch every sunday and always make sure we have sufficient candy to last us through the entire week.

Im thankful that he had left us with so many fond memories and smiles. It is indeed a blessing for him to pass away peacefully without going through more agony and suffering.

And as the whole family sang the song "Amazing Grace" before the cremation, I felt peace instead of sadness. I believe my granduncle is truly with God now and that my family and I will see him again in Heaven.


I always think that a death of your loved one will not be a total misery, instead you'll learn to realise that we do not have much time to show our concern, appreciation and love to the close ones around us. Death is a sudden jerk of reality; the reality of mortality and the fear of losing our loved ones before we tell and show them how much we truly love them.

Thank you, Granduncle for teaching me this lesson.

And, Thank you God, for holding back the rain during the slow funeral march to the church. You answered our prayers.




Posted by Jo at 4:27 pm