Monday, June 12, 2006

I jumped off a cliff..

Into "oh mygoodnessblardee" cold water. The temperature of the water is 5 deg cel.

In case you didnt know, I went for a white water rafting trip with 12 other friends on the trip. The whole experience was awesome! From the start to the end.... It was well worth the 155 CAN dollars.

Okay back to the jumping off the cliff part. The guides brought us to this part of the river with this 2 storey high cliff overlooking this calm part of the river and told us we can jump off the cliff if we want to! oh my goodness. we were like, "Are you kidding or what?" haha it turned out, he wasnt.. the angmoh folks (as usual) were the most gungho and sportingly scaled the cliff and jumped off the cliff right into the icy cold water without even hesitating one bit.

alright....... We cant let the Asian race down... so even though we know we are out of our crazy minds, we decided to just go for it! most of us went, in fact the 10 of us. I went too! Im not worried about the jumping off part, Im worried about the climbing part.. Lemme tell you, I almost wanted to give up halfway climbing the cliff. I was like, " I dont want to climb anymore, I'll climb down.." The guide was like, "NONO, You can do it! your legs are strong!" Yah right, my legs are strong! you must be kidding me! My legs were literally shaking. I sucked so bad at climbing. After like 5 mins ( I think ), I finally reached the top. phew... at least I didnt fall off halfway and embarrased myself in front of the ang moh guys... haha! I didnt hesitate when I did the jump..Aiyah, just get it over and done with!

and the water was freezing cold! the coldness just hit you straight away.. The moment I surfaced, I gasped and winced in pain from the sheer coldness. You should have seen me swimming back to the raft to be pulled back in. I was swimming as if my life depended on it! And because the raft was being pushed away from the currents of the splash, It took like eternity for me to reach the side of the raft. Damien (thank goodness, He's like our life saver) pulled me back to the raft. He's way out of his mind cos he jumped off from a higher part of the cliff...

The rapids were killer.. the whole ride was filled with screaming and shouting of, "FORWARD, DIG IN FOWARD HARDER, BACKPULL!" haha I feel like one of those slaves back in the olden days in the lowest deck of the ship slogging and rowing away. Its real fun thou. A great adrenaline rush! I was tired but happy at the same time. I had this dumbass grin on my face everytime I see the rapids coming! Its like a rollercoster ride with loads of ice cold water on your face and body. We were numbed from the cold after 2.5 hrs of rafting. It was that long, but it felt like 10 mins.

Oh by the way, I had 4 layers of rafting attire on. haha I would be frozen to death if not for those 4 layers. my bikini ( hardly any help), full length wet suit, fleece jacket, gothax jacket, life jacket and booties to cover our feet. Oh and helmet! the most important.

The whole trip was without casualties. Vanny almost fell into the rapids thou when we encountered the "mother" of all rapids. Damien came to the rescue again! He grabbed hold of van's jacket just when she almost went into the water. what to do, he's the only dude with 6 girls (including the guide, which we named muscle woman. haha cos she's damn fit and mascular!).

To sum up....
If you give me a chance to do that again, I'll do it! The experience is woah! Im glad I didnt give up scaling the cliff... I got blisters and body aches all over my left side of my body. But Its worth it.

Stay tuned for the pictures! =)

Posted by Jo at 1:46 pm