Thursday, June 01, 2006

First official lesson in University of British Columbia

As always, we slept late and woke up just in time to prepare for classes. I dont think I ever suffered from jet lag so far on this trip. Since the first night, I was sleeping like a pig, dreamless and undisturbed sleep. We had our first official lesson after all the orientation stuff we had to do. And we took super long to walk to the class in Henry Angus Building. You cant blame us when there's so much greenery and nice colonial-like buildings all around us! ha! A pity there's hardly any cute guys, perhaps its the fact that I didnt really bother looking out for any handsome hunks since we're half rushing, brring cold and looking at the campus' building.

Sidetrack...
The Tim Horton's donut shop ladies were such friendly people. I just like the way they'll call you dearie and sweetie everytime they serve you. Sidetrack again: my boyfriend calls me sweetie too. So I was at first kinda not used to an old auntie calling me by that. They were like, "How can I help you this morning, sweetie?" I know it sounds kinda 'eh' but such niceties are common in western culture. Being called sweetie makes you feel like a pampered princess, doesnt it?

Ah well, the donut lady wasnt the only Canadian who's so nice to us so far. Our prof who's teaching us E-Business, treated us to Tim Horton's Donuts holes during breaktime. haha it was really funny at first when he mentioned treating us to donut holes in a previous lesson and we didnt believe what he said. C'mon, donut holes?? all of us thought he was kidding. How can you eat a donut hole (the hole in the middle of the donut just in case you dont know what I'm talking about)? It turned out, you can actually eat a donut hole. Its just donut lump la... urps, why didnt we see it that way?!


Oh we had a picnic lunch just outside the Student Union Building which is basically a place where students hang out. There're eateries, pizza places, pub and a convenience store. The weather is just lovely for sitting out and people watch. ahhh, how nice.






Lunchie... we're not the only ones sitting around on the grass.. Most people do that in campus. I cant imagine sitting on the grass back home in sch. People might think im crazy! how sad to know that Singaporeans are still as conscious of themselves as ever. The Canadians dont give a damn about what others think of them. I like, I do. There was this dude who was just lying flat on the grass sleeping. haha!

Well, like I say, Life's good in Vancouver.










Posted by Jo at 8:59 am